Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What's cooking?

Now, now, now...
MAYBE, after all, maybe, something is going on. Something is simmering, just there, below the surface of things... I don't know...
I might have to admit to the mainstreaming of cycling after this:

Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake in Toronto. (Sean O'Neill for etalk). Shamelessly taken from here.

 While James Schwartz over at The Urban Country was being bullied for cycling and for looking too hot be straight, these two were cruising around Toronto, during the very same weekend.

Yep, Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel. Cycling. In Toronto!

Ok, I am not a celeb groupie. I still don't know who the heck she is, probably some starlet, encore. Hum, actually, I had to google both of them up to ensure I do not write nonsense.
But geez, I find this picture powerful.

Why is that? Because they look like everyone. They look like they could be just any Torontonians. Seriously.
They are dressed like regular folks. She is wearing a skirt. He's got that shirt (OMG, I am NOT even commenting on that shirt). They are both on mixtes. They are sitting not folded over like Jamaican patties. Hers has got a wire basket!!

Actually, if I did not know for a fact that this, in the background was the goddamn Queen City, I would have sworn they were cycling in Montreal. Well, except of course, for the streetcar. And for the tracks. And for the lane. Well, whatever, that's besides the point anyways.
Wire baskets are sooooo Montreal! Oh but hold on: we do not know whether those bikes rattled. Hum, that's a very important element of our identity. And, after closer examination, I am not seeing any duck tape!
Ok, I guess this looks typically Torontonian after all.

So, I am not sure whether this is really a natural and unprepared shot or a piece of some elaborate PR stunt, but they made optimal choices. Nobody could have recognised them. They blended with local fauna just perfect.

So let's go over it once again:

- Normal clothes, tick
- Girl feminine looking, tick
- No freaking helmets, tick
- Hair flowing in the wind, tick
- Regular bikes, tick (they could NOT have picked a more appropriate choice really)
- Sitting upright, tick
- Basket, tick (wire basket!!!)

Awesome. Just freaking awesome.
This made my day!

2 comments:

  1. hopefully more celebs are out on bike this week as TIFF is starting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Xander

    Let's hope!
    I don't track or stalk celebs, but whenever they can help the cause, I am all for it!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. Comments will be moderated to ensure the discussion remains on topic.